Rainbow Lake Campground
Kenai National Wildlife Refuge
P.O. Box 2139; Ski Hill Rd.
Soldotna, Alaska 99669-2139
Latitude 60°43'04.4"N — Longitude 150°49'05.6"W
- Directions - From the Sterling Highway at milepost 83.4 near the grade school in Sterling you turn north onto Swanson River Road. Rainbow Lake Campground is located at mile 16 on Swanson River Road. NOTE: Swanson River Road is not paved and consists of loose gravel and long washboard sections. Drive with caution.
- Description - Rainbow Lake Campground on Swanson River Road is operated by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Rainbow Lake Campground has 3 campsites with an RV size limit of around 32 feet. This campground has NO FEE but does impose the standard 14 night camping limit. Rainbow Lake Campground water, latrines and boat ramp. Mile 16, Swanson River Road.
- Also See
- Number of campsites - 3
- Number and type of hookups - No Hook-Ups
- * 30 amp - N/A
- Water - Centrally Located Hand Pump
- Sewer - N/A
- Tent Sites - Yes
- Dates of Operation - Open Year Round
- Number of Pull-Thru Sites - N/A
- Max Length - 32 feet
- Services - drinking water, boat launch, toilets
- Payment Methods - Free Camping - (No Reservations)
- NOTES: When using power boats on Rainbow Lake there is a “no-wake” restriction that applies to all boats on Rainbow Lake. Fishing in Rainbow Lake is pretty good for rainbow trout and Char.
Camping may not exceed 14 days in a 30 day period anywhere on the refuge. Campers may not spend more than 2 consecutive days at the Kenai-Russian River access area, or more than 7 consecutive days at Hidden Lake Campground. Backcountry camping is also permitted in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge; campsites must be at least 1/4 mile away from the Sterling Highway, Ski Hill Road, or Skilak Lake Road.
Skilak Lake Road Campgrounds
- Engineer Lake Campground
- Hidden Lake Campground
- Lower Ohmer Lake Campground
- Lower Skilak Lake Campground
- Upper Skilak Lake Campground
Campgrounds on the Swanson River Road