Dead Dog Hill Rest Area
Wrangell-St. Elias National Park
Mile 17.8 on Nabesna Road
Slana, Alaska 99586
Dead Dog Hill Rest Area is another option for free camping in Wrangell-St. Elias
National Park and Preserve. If you love our National Parks, be sure to stop by the Slana Ranger
Station and thank them in person.
Nabesna Road Campgrounds
Dead Dog Hill Rest Area is the first of many camping stops along the Nabesna Road that travels
42 miles into the wilderness of Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve.
This is a great site to take a break for wildlife viewing or bird watching. There are views
of wetlands, a small lake, and boreal forest. Moose are seen here and caribou migrate through
this area in the spring and fall.
- Directions – Dead Dog Hill Rest Area is located 17.8 up Nabesna
Road from the intersection with the Tok Cutoff.
- Description – This is a primitive camping spot and rest area with
- Number of sites – No dedicated campsites
- Number and type of hookups –
- * 30 amp – N/A
- * 50 amp – N/A
- Water – N/A
- Sewer – Closest dump station is located at Hart D Ranch in Slana,
- Dry Sites – No Hook-Ups or Water Available
- Dates of Operation – Open Year Round
- Number of Pull-Thru Sites – N/A
- Max Length – N/A
- Services – N/A
- Additional Amenities – N/A
- Payment Methods Accepted – Free