Rock Lake Wayside
Wrangell-St. Elias National Park
Mile 21.8 on Nabesna Road
Slana, Alaska 99586
Another option for free camping in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve.
If you love our National Parks, be sure to stop by the Slana Ranger Station and thank them in
Nabesna Road Campgrounds
Rock Lake Wayside is the forth in six sanctioned camping stops along the Nabesna Road at about
the half way point on the 42 mile wilderness road traveling into the depths of Wrangell-St.
Elias National Park and Preserve.
- Directions – Rock Lake Wayside is located 21.8 up Nabesna Road
from the intersection with the Tok Cutoff.
- Description – This wayside offers some primitive camping sites
at a price nobody can resist. There is an outhouse bathroom at the wayside. The trail
is approximately 1/4 mile long to the cabin and departs from the north side of the road. Reservations
are required for use of Viking Lodge public-use cabin. Contact the Wrangell-St. Elias Visitor
Center or call (907) 822-7253 to sign up for this amazing backcountry cabin.
- NOTE: Currently, there are 14 designated public-use cabins located within Wrangell-St. Elias.
Most of these cabins were old mining, trapping, or hunting cabins that are located on public
land and are now owned by the National Park Service.
- Number of sites - No dedicated campsites
- Number and type of hookups –
- * 30 amp –
- * 50 amp –
- Water –
- Sewer – Closest dump station is located at Hart D Ranch in Slana,
- Dry Sites – No Hook-Ups or Water Available
- Dates of Operation – Open Year Round
- Number of Pull-Thru Sites – N/A
- Max Length – N/A
- Services – N/A
- Additional Amenities – N/A
- Payment Methods Accepted – Free