Alaska State Parks
Mile 7 Mud Bay Road
Haines, AK 99827
The 3-mile long gravel access road, including the 14% grade, to Chilkat campground
discourages many from proceeding but the breathtaking campground at the end of the road
makes the drive worth the adventure.
Chilkat Campground in Haines, AK.
Very scenic 32
pull-through sites, 3 beachfront tent sites. Alaska State Parks offers a cabin. Summer hosts
provide information & reference
materials at log cabin interpretive center. Views of Rainbow and Davidson Glaciers.
- Directions – Chilkat Campground is located 8 miles south
of Haines on Mud Bay Road, access via dirt road with 14% grade.
- Description – VEHICLE SIZE CAUTION -
They're serious about this as maneuverability is limited and steep inclunes are ahead; large
vehicles will regret attempting this campground, best left to the smaller rigs.
- Number of sites – 35
- Dry Sites – 35
- Walk-In Sites – 4
- Number of Pull-Thru Sites – 32
- Max Length – 35 feet maximum overall.
- Number and type of electric hookups -
- * 30 amp – N/A
- * 50 amp – N/A
- Water – Yes
- Sewer Hookups – N/A
- Dump Station – N/A
- Dates of Operation – May 15
to Sept 15
- Services -
- Propane – Haines, AK
- Fuel – Haines, AK
- Store – Haines, AK
- Tours – Haines, AK
- Additional Amenities – picnic sites, fire rings, picnic
table, toilets, fishing, boat launch, hiking trails, beaches
- Payment Methods Accepted – Cash (Self Registration Envelopes
$15.00 Per Night)