NOTE: Camping fees increased on January 1, 2015 from $10.00 to $15.00 per campsite.
Fees for daily parking remains unchanged at $5.00 per vehicle.
Kenai Peninsula Campgrounds
Izaak Walton Campground
Department of Natural Resources
550 W. 7th Ave, Suite 1260,
Anchorage, AK 99501
During the sockeye salmon fishing months of June and July, Izaak Walton Campground can get pretty busy. The boat launch is popular with locals and guides alike and the bank fishing is very popular too. As one of the more popular campgrounds for salmon fishing on the Kenai, Izaak Walton is still one of those destinations that offers an amazing family outing.
- Campground Rating — ☆★★★★
- Description - Izaak Walton Campground offers 31 dry campsites on the shores of the Kenai River adjacent to its confluence with the Moose River. Every campsite offers a bit of seclusion with shrubbery separating the sites from each other. Picnic tables and fire rings are provided as are clean restrooms and conveniently located potable water.
- Directions - Following the Seward Highway south to the town of Sterling AK, the campground is located at milepost 81. Izaak Walton Campground is located in Sterling Alaska where the Moose River enters the Kenai River, this popular salmon fishing location is a popular destination for fishermen with great bank fishing from the campground.
- Number of campsites - 31
- Number and type of hookups - No Hook-Ups
- * 30 amp - N/A
- Water - Centrally Located Hand Pumps
- Sewer - N/A
- Tent Sites - Yes
- Dates of Operation -
- Number of Pull-Thru Sites - N/A
- Max Length - Realistically, 32 feet but two sites can handle larger units.
- Additional Amenities - Walking distance to stores and services. Great fishing access for sockeye and silver salmon fishing in the summer and fall.
- Payment Methods - Honor System Kiosk - (No Reservations)