Dolly Varden Lake Campground on Swanson River Road.
Kenai National Wildlife Refuge
P.O. Box 2139; Ski Hill Rd.
Soldotna, Alaska 99669-2139
Latitude 60°42'01.2"N — Longitude 150°47'56.0"W
- Directions - From the Sterling Highway at milepost 83.4 near grade school in Sterling you turn north onto Swanson River Road. Dolly Varden Lake is located at mile 14 on Swanson River Road. NOTE: Swanson River Road is not paved and consists of loose gravel and long washboard sections. Drive with caution .
- Description - Dolly Varden Lake Campground on Swanson River Road is operated by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Dolly Varden Lake Campground has 12 campsites with an RV size limit of around 25 feet. This campground has NO FEE but does impose the standard 14 night camping limit. Dolly Varden Lake Campground offers drinking water, outhouses and boat ramp. Located at Mile 14 on Swanson River Road.
- Also see
- Number of campsites - 12
- Number and type of hookups - No Hook-Ups
- * 30 amp - N/A
- Water - Centrally Located Hand Pump
- Sewer - N/A
- Tent Sites - Yes
- Dates of Operation - Open Year Round
- Number of Pull-Thru Sites - None
- Max Length - 25 feet
- Services - drinking water, boat launch, toilets, bear proof storage at every site.
- Payment Methods - Free Camping - (No Reservations)
- NOTES: When using power boats on Dolly Varden Lake there is a “no-wake” restriction that applies to all boats on Dolly Varden Lake. Fishing in Dolly Varden Lake is pretty good for rainbow trout and yes, Dolly Varden too.
Camping may not exceed 14 days in a 30 day period anywhere on the refuge. Campers may not spend more than 2 consecutive days at the Kenai-Russian River access area, or more than 7 consecutive days at Hidden Lake Campground.
Backcountry camping is also permitted in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge; campsites must be at least 1/4 mile away from the Sterling Highway, Ski Hill Road, or Skilak Lake Road.
Skilak Lake Road Campgrounds
- Engineer Lake Campground
- Hidden Lake Campground
- Lower Ohmer Lake Campground
- Lower Skilak Lake Campground
- Upper Skilak Lake Campground
Campgrounds on the Swanson River Road