Discovery Campground: Captain Cook State Park
Discovery Campground near Kenai Alaska is one of those lesser known destinations used primarily
be locals although visitors are starting to find their way there too. Discovery Campground on the
Kenai Peninsula offers a peaceful setting in natural forested campsites with easy access to Stormy
Lake the salmon fishing in the Swanson River and quite walks on the beaches of Cook Inlet while
overlooking the volcanoes of the Alaska Range.
- Directions — 25 miles north of the town of Kenai via the North
Kenai Road, (Kenai Spur) that passes through Kenai and Nikiski traveling north along the coast
to milepost 36.
- Description —
Discovery Campground is operated by Alaska Recreation
- Number of sites — 53 Total Campsites
- Dry Sites — 53 Campsites
- Number of Pull-Thru Sites — N/A
- Max Length — 35 Feet
- Camping Limit — 14 Days
- Camping Fee — $15.00
- Daily Parking Fee — $5.00
- Number of electric hookups:
- * 30 amp — N/A
- * 50 amp — N/A
- Water Available — Hand Pump Potable Water
- Water Hook-Ups — N/A
- Sewer Hook-Ups — N/A
- Dump Station — N/A
- Dates of Operation — May - October
- Services —
- Propane — Tesoro-2-Go at milepost 20 North Road.
- Fuel — Steve's Chevron in Nikiski, AK.
- Store — M&M Market in Nikiski, AK.
- Fishing — Swanson River and Stormy Lake
- Additional Amenities —
- Payment Methods Accepted — Self Pay Envelopes & Kiosk